Saturday, August 03, 2013

Poor Germans

In 2011, German gross domestic product (GDP) increased by 3.9 percent, but poverty did not decrease. On the contrary, it rose by 4.1 percent. Dortmund’s local poverty rate is 24 percent, compared with an average of 15 percent across Germany.

The charity Deutsche Paritätische Wohlfahrtsverband comments:
 “Poverty means that people cannot take part in society. There are figures that define poverty throughout Europe. If people have a monthly income of less than about 850 euros, they are poor. This is an figure that’s been calculated. But it’s not just that. While poverty is about taking part in society – or not taking part – it is also about opportunity. In Germany we say that everyone has equal opportunities, but in reality not everyone has the same chance to succeed.”

 ‘Dana’ first came to Germany from the former Yugoslavia with her parents 40 years ago. Since losing her job, she relies on charity food handouts. After paying her bills, she only has 190 euros a month to live on. She told euronews:
“That is unfortunately very little, because food and everything is getting more expensive. I can’t afford to do anything like go to the cinema or to the theatre. Life is cruel. Now I am forced to go to the ‘Tafel’ charity for food. I have no choice. That’s very difficult. I’ve recently been rejected for a job I applied for and I was really down and depressed for three days. For me personally, it’s very upsetting and I really can’t handle it. I don’t feel like a human being, I feel like half a human...”

In Germany the gap between rich and poor continues to widen.


No comments: