Sunday, September 07, 2014

Workers Of The World - 4


Uncertain Times

The global economic crisis that rocked the world in 2008 led to increased financial hardship for informal workers, most of whom already lived in precarious circumstances.

Pushpaben Kishorkumar Kapani, Diamond Polishing, Ahmedabad, India

I followed my husband’s trade and took up diamond polishing. I had also undergone training in diamond polishing, prior to taking up this work. I am 33 years old and have been residing in Ahmedabad since birth. I have studied up to college.
My husband and I made good money through diamond polishing. My husband’s monthly earnings were Rs3000 (US$62.05) and my monthly earning were Rs2000 (US$41.37). We have a daughter who is studying in the 4th Standard. She would be left under the care of our neighbours, while we were away at work. We were able to cater to most of the needs of our daughter.
Everything was going well and then … all of a sudden, fate changed due to the onset of the financial crisis!!! It is over a year now.

Diamond work was very badly affected by the financial crisis. There were more than 1000 diamond polishing factories in Ahmedabad city. Most of these factories have shut down. Thousands of people lost their livelihood and became jobless. My husband and I also lost our jobs. We became helpless. Life became very tough. There were problems due to the shortage of food at home. At times – we were unable to get food for two days. Our daughter had to discontinue school as we could not afford school fees.

We left Ahmedabad and went to village and tried to work on farms. But the earnings were very low and, moreover, our daughter was being neglected and getting spoiled. So we returned to Ahmedabad. My husband started working in an iron factory. He was getting 100 rupees per day (US$2.07). However, all his earnings were being spent on house rent and other domestic expenses. We were unable to afford proper food. I took up embroidery work as I had some experience in it. But here too – the earnings of around 12 rupees per day (0.25 USD) were not sufficient.

The financial crisis has made the situation of so many similar to that of ours. Being the eldest at my in-laws place I have to take on a lot of responsibilities. I had never thought or expected to be in this situation!!!
A lot of questions enter my mind: “When will the factories open again? What is my daughter’s future? What about her marriage?” These thoughts depress me.
Due to increasing prices we are unable to afford proper food, clothing and medical treatment. A big question in front of us is – “What work to do?” I do not know when the financial crisis will end – it is finishing us!!!

from here


No comments: