Tuesday, July 24, 2018

VIRGIN ON THE RIDICULOUS! (weekly poem)

VIRGIN ON THE RIDICULOUS!
The Vatican has decided that, whereas 'Brides of Christ'
were formerly required to be " actual virgins and unmarried,
literal virginity is not now a prerequisite for consecration.

PART ONE
I want to be a Bride of Christ,
As quickly as I can;
I go to Church three times a week,
Although I‘ve ‘known’ a man.

But now I want to dedicate,
And consecrate my bod; (1)
With all its faux virginity,
To a fictitious God.

I want to waste all of my life,
Upon this fantasy;
Which says a lot about the Church,
And even more 'bout me.

CHORUS
I’m no virgo intacta, but
I still can be Christ's Bride;
It’s an important factor if,
One’s mind is pure inside!

PART TWO
Religion's fantasies run deep;
And many waste their time;
In chasing rainbows in their life,
In its imagined clime.

One life is all that Nature gives,
Before we die for good;
Why is that fact for some so hard,
And little understood?

For thinking folk we know this is,
The only life we've got;
And thus we will not waste our time,
On faith and tommy rot.

(1) According to the Vatican, consecrated virgins “are
dedicated to the Lord Jesus in virginity...They experience
the spiritual fertility of an intimate relationship with him.”

© Richard Layton

No comments: