Tuesday, April 10, 2018

THE ENJOYMENT OF EMPLOYMENT! (Weekly Poem)

THE ENJOYMENT OF EMPLOYMENT!

Employers, that unselfish breed,
Existing to give all a job;
Of labour power they've no real need,
And surplus value makes them sob!

To them we're individuals,
Not merely numbers on the line;
They leave us their residuals,
For supplicating at their shrine.

No other area of life's,
Engaged in such sweet harmony;
And all of the reported strife's,
Mere playful camaraderie!

There never is a cause to strike,
Nor even less a work-to-rule;
With an incessant wages hike,
Those doing so would be a fool.

One's job is guaranteed for life,
No unemployment's ever seen;
No need for sending out the wife,
When one just hasn't got a bean.

Employers should be classed as saints,
They do it just to give us work;
They earn their profits, no complaints--
Believe that and you are a berk!

© Richard Layton

1 comment:

Trevor Goodger-Hill said...

Splendid!

What's a berk?

Please reply. I'm ignorant of this term and I will be reading it to my expatriate English comrade on the B.C west coast. If I admit I don't know what it means, he'll probably rhyme "berk" with "jerk' to make me feel like a "colonial'.