1. The average income for the top 10% grew three times faster than for the rest of us – which grew a scant .07%;
2. In the same time period, the average income for the top 1% grew four times as fast as for the 99%;
3. The top 10% now take home half of all income;
4. Since 2009, 58% of all income growth has gone to the top 10%;
5. When it comes to net wealth, the divide is even starker. The 20 richest people in the country now have as much wealth as the bottom 50% of Americans.
Americans know something is wrong.
A. Eighty-six percent of all voters believe political leaders are more interested in protecting their power than in doing what’s right for the American people.
B. Eighty-three percent believe the country is run by an alliance of incumbent politicians, media pundits, lobbyists, and other interests for their own gain.
C. Further, 79% believe that powerful interests from Wall Street banks to corporations, unions, and PACs use campaign and lobbying money to rig the system to serve themselves and that they loot the national treasury at the expense of every American.
So what are they going to do about it?